Mas d'en Pedro
School of the Sea
The School of the Sea is an educational project for infant, primary and
The aim of the school is to educate and give awareness of the need to respect
and conserve the environment. This is acheived through direct contact with the
local coastal and aquatic ecosystems.
Educational aims and objectives
- To bring young people into contact with the coastal
- To equip young people to understand the different types of
ecosystems and their diversities.
- Inform them of the uses of the natural resources and the
traditional activities such as fishing and coastal management.
- To instill an attitude of respect for the environment
- To sensitize the pupils to the environmental problems that
- To understand how the functions of society through
observation of the changes in the landscape.
There are group activities with a duration of 2 to 5 days..The activities
are based upon observation, discussion and experimentation about the environment,
using suitable support and facilities.
A proposal of activities
The programme consists of different modules which you can combine to suit your
- Discover the beach
- Caminant per l'espigó.
- walk for
- Fishing: Visit the Port of Vilanova
- Observe a fish auction in the
- Investigate the landscape
- Observe an aquarium
- Games involving
- Astronomy: A journey through our Universe
Modelling, knots, pottery, etc...
The work is organised in groups of about 15 children with one assisting
monitor,working from the morning through till late at night.Usually the
programme here is independent of the curriculum in school. However the programme
can be adapted to suit your future or previous educational plans.
- Audio visual support: Video, slide shows and projections, music...
- Aquarium with Meditaranean species
- Zooliogical collection
- Informational material
To think about...
The daily activities in the house of colonies;
such as dressing , personal hygiene, cleaning, setting the table, etc...are the
responsibilies of the tutors.
- The Coordinator of Mas d'en Pedro will visit the school
previous to the date of reservation, in order to adjust and finalise the